Monday, June 15, 2009

"IN THE BAG" EXHIBITION AT THE OLIVE HYDE GALLERY












"Wrapture"

© Joanne Licsko 07

oil on canvas 30"x40"





 I am feeling pleased these days, and I owe some of this good feeling to generosity of another artist


I am very proud to have four of my paintings included in an exhibition "In The Bag" showing the works of eleven women artists.  The theme is "Purses or Satchels - a mobile container or personal accessory that often hints at the personality of the person wearing it."

 

For several years I have a been inspired to work a theme based on women's shopping experience, focusing particularly on the brightly colored shopping bags that retailers know we love.  "Wrapture" is my favorite of the series so far.  It is a celebration of the ecstasy women feel upon the return of a successful hunt in the retail jungle.  Bags of different shapes, colored tissue paper in excess, even the brand name tastefully displayed on the bag that says Chanel, all enhance the thrill.  The chiaroscuro effect of black to white, the pink and cream tissue, the reflected and transparent lights, were all pure pleasure for me to paint.


"In the Bag", curated by Sandra Hemsworth, is currently on display until July 11th at the Olive Hyde Gallery in Fremont, Ca.  Mostly 3D works, the work is both insightful and delightful.  The reception on June 12 th, gave me the chance to admire  the work of all the artists, and meet with carved cardboard artist Judy Johnson-Williams.  Her brilliantly constructed bag made to look like breasts is a work few will forget. 


San Francisco artist Marni Mutrux graciously sent an email to tell me of the show, knowing the theme was perfect for me.  Thank you Marni!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry I am out of town and couldn't make it to the reception. I would have loved to have met you. I'm looking forward to driving over to see this show when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been worth planning for. I would have loved to have met you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant news about the show Joanne! And absolutely beautiful painting! Love the lighting you have captured here. r.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally got over to see the show at the Olive Hyde Gallery and absolutely loved the paintings you had in the show!! Such a treat to see them "live and in person."

    ReplyDelete